About Me

My photo
St. Charles, Missouri, United States
With all the technology we have in this world why is it so hard to find a cure for cancer?

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Prognosis

As long as he has been sick, after all the doctor visits, all the nights sleeping in chairs at the hospital, not one time did a doctor ever, ever, give me a time limit on his life..... until today. He absolutely cannot be released from the hospital and go home without 24 hour care. That means he can come home but someone has to be with him during the day while I'm at work. His confusion is random and he has very lucid moments when he sounds like the man I married. Then he talks about being locked up in a cage and searching the hospital halls for me because he's lost me. His oncologist has made the decision to stop all chemotherapy treatments until the confusion stops. They don't expect the confusion to stop therefore no more chemo, in which case they have given him the prognosis of 3-6 months of life left. They will continue radiation treatment on his spine to try and control the pain but that's it. He is allergic to morphine, and any narcotic drugs only add to the confusion so they don't want him to take any more of those. My prayer is that I can line up family and friends to take turns staying with him as I CANNOT afford a private duty nurse at $900 per week, or an adult "day care" facility at $80 per day. Medicare will not pay for either one of those and we won't qualify for Medicaid because I make too much money. Can't type anymore, exhaustion has completely taken over my mind and hands..... vicki lee

No comments:

Post a Comment